CAN, NEMA – El-rufai lied about 66 people killed in Kajuru LGA.

The Governor of kaduna released a statement on Friday, which confirmed the attacks, said security personnel had been “deployed to the area and arrests have been made”.

“Security agencies today reported the recovery of 66 bodies that were killed in attacks by criminal elements on various dispersed hamlets in the Maro Gida and Iri axis of Kajuru,” Kaduna governor’s spokesperson Samuel said.

“Among the victims were 22 children and 12 women. Four wounded persons rescued by the security agencies are now receiving medical attention,” he added.

The attack has caused panic among residents of the state.

Media houses like aljazeera published the news on its website.

Reports now has it that this was all lies in an attempt to scare voters from going out to vote in the state, for fear of reprisal attacks.

Former chairman of NHRC mr Chidi Odinkalu first raise concerns that the governor lied and a proper investigation on the incident needs to be carried out.

CAN and NEMA has come out to validate me Odinkalu’s claims. The Kaduna State Chapter of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), as well as the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) have denied the claims by Nasir el-Rufai, Governor of Kaduna State, regarding the killing of 66 people in Kaduna.

CAN also accused the Governor of deliberately giving out false information.

A statement by Reverend Joseph Hayab, the Kaduna CAN Chairman in the state, stressed that the killing happened days earlier than el-Rufai’s claim.

“We are aware that the incident happened in the late hours of Sunday 10 February to February 12, 2019, at about 1am at Gindin Gada in the Maro Ward of Kajuru Local Government, Kaduna State, where unidentified hoodlums went into the village and killed about 11 people in their sleep.

This led to reprisals. Two of the suspects were said to have been apprehended and handed over to the Divisional Police Officer in the area. It was in the afternoon of the said date of the attack (as contained in the press statement) that the District Head of Kufana, Mr Titus Dauda, and four of his local chiefs were released after their invitation by the Department of State Services.

“We see this as an illogical intentional, premeditated attempt at stirring violence in the state for whatever expected gains. The incidence of raising false alarm by the Kaduna State Government should make Nigerians realise that some of our leaders are also guilty of hate speech and that makes them major actors in the game that has denied us peace and has claimed the lives of our love ones.’’

Ishaya Chonoko, the Zonal Coordinator, North-West office of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), told the press that there were no fresh killings in Kajuru LGA on Friday as claimed by the governor.

He said: “It is not true that 66 people were killed in Kaduna State. I am in Kaduna now and I can confirm to you that I am not aware of any 66 people that were killed in Kajuru Local Government Area by any unknown gunmen.

There was an attack last week (Sunday), where 11 people were said to have been killed. It was the usual tribal clash between the Fulani and the indigenes. Anytime there is a clash between two tribes in Kaduna, there is usually reprisal.

“We made necessary contacts only to discover that it was merely a rumour to instigate violence. Please disregard it. It is not true at all.”

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: